Goldendoodles.com Community

A Community of Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Lovers

Hi friends, Well we had our visit with the neurologist and the short story is, it was a waste of time and money. She recommended a spinal tap, prescribed phenobarbital, and gave very short, non-informative answers to my questions. After waiting over an hour, she spent about 15 minutes with us. I feel no more certain of our path than I did before seeing her. For the moment, we have shelved the phenobarbital, and are keeping Quinn on his current meds, and I am waiting for a call back from our family vet. I am so frustrated and I am worried that we are not doing what should be done, but we don't feel informed enough to make a decision. The spinal tap is almost a thousand dollars, and honestly we will foot that bill if given a good reason to do the test. The thing is that Quinn's first seizure was three months ago and I would think that if he had a brain inflammation, he would be exhibiting other symptoms by now. When I presented that thought to the neuro. I basically got a shrug and a "we can't be sure." Well, duh! I have a string of adjectives in my head for this woman, but every time I talk about this, my blood starts to boil. So, I'll stop now; thanks for listening!! :p

Views: 124

Comment

You need to be a member of Goldendoodles.com Community to add comments!

Join Goldendoodles.com Community

Comment by CJ, Gracie, and Quinn on May 26, 2016 at 11:26pm

We go down to Port Jervis to Dr. Hallam. I have been with that practice for over 40 years, and have a great relationship with Dr. Hallam. I have heard good things about Cherry Ridge.

Comment by CJ, Gracie, and Quinn on May 13, 2016 at 7:10pm
Thanks Kris and Beverly. Beverly, we can't be sure, but we are thinking if Quinn had a history of seizures, we would have seen one before now. He had been with us for 6 mos. when he had his first seizure and then the second one occurred about 6 weeks after that. I've read that seizures often begin between 1-3 years and he was less than a year when he came to us. All is a guess of course and without a doubt he came to us in very poor health :(
Kris, if it hadn't been for the fact that we were leaving for a 7 day cruise the day after Quinn's second seizure, we may have stalled on the medication, but we wanted to get a bandaid on the situation so we could leave without being totally freaked about him seizing again while the sitter was here. Now it's a matter of figuring out where to go from here, which is what was SUPPOSED to happen when we went to the neurologist. The medication we are using is a mild anti-anxiety med. that is also finding its way onto the list of seizure treatments. I will be talking to our family vet but at this point we are thinking it might be best to keep him on this low dose med. and see if he has any repeat events. What I hate is how you find out it's not working....seizure. I don't like the waiting game. I know what you mean about the hawk watch. Quinn dreams a lot when he sleeps so he is always twitching. Makes us crazy. We stare at him a lot. Prayers your way too for Brodie and hugs to Harrison.
Comment by Harrison, Brodie & Kris on May 12, 2016 at 11:25pm

I am sorry that you do not have anymore information than you had before your visit. I know your frustration. I watch Brodie like a hawk when we are home. The littlest behavior change and I get a feeling in my stomach and worry that he will have another seizure.. It is such a helpless feeling. So far we have had only two in the past 6 months. We are hoping that we never have another one. We have talked to out vet about medication and have decided to wait to see if he has anymore and if the frequency increases. So far we just got on day by day.  Know that you are in our prayers and hope you find an answer to Quinn's seizures.  He is very lucky to have found you. Hugs and slobbers, Harrison and Brodie

Comment by Beverly and Eli on May 12, 2016 at 6:48pm

What's really difficult is not knowing anything about Quinn's past, poor buddy. It may be that he's had these before. Hang in there. Sounds like your regular vet is good and I'd follow her lead. In the meantime we'll be holding you and Quinn in our thoughts and prayers that this can be kept under control and he can have a long and happy life with you. 

Comment by CJ, Gracie, and Quinn on May 12, 2016 at 5:47pm

Turkeys is right Jan! I just want to go back and do it over again and say all the things I thought to say after I got back home and ran it over in my head several times. Ha! I didn't go into details, but the specialist was rude and arrogant and so was her tech. I know these types are out there, but fortunately I haven't had much contact with this sort.

I will definitely check out the Websites you gave me. I think I may have already done some reading on the canine-epilepsy one. It sounds familiar. Educating myself is exactly where I'm at right now, so THANKS!!

Comment by Jan, Lily & Nessy on May 12, 2016 at 10:44am

I'm so sorry for the way this Dr treated you and Quinn...

If I didn't mention this before - you might want to read: http://www.marvistavet.com/seizure-disorder.pml

at the bottom of the article is a link to a great website - http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/  (they even have articles written by Dr. Dobbs, a well respected Veterinarian, and expert on things like thyroid tests - many responsible breeders use her test for their breeding dogs, to assure healthy parents).

Best wishes, and don't let the turkeys get you down. ;)

Comment by CJ, Gracie, and Quinn on May 11, 2016 at 11:01pm
Thanks for the support and kind words DonMarie and Dianne. My family vet had her office manager call me tonight to get details from me about visit. They are such a great group. She said the same thing about having the phenobarbital on hand Dianne. She's going to pass on the info. to vet who will touch base with me by end of week to discuss a plan. At the moment the plan is to keep giving the low dose of clorazepate with a wait and see approach. I agree with this, it's just a little scary knowing what that means. We are on week 5 since the second seizure and that one came 7 weeks after the first.
Comment by Dianne and Dulcie on May 11, 2016 at 10:13pm

Oh, I am so sorry! Wish you had had a better experience and more answers about Quinn.  And I agree - you would think he would have more symptoms with brain inflammation!  At least you have a drug on the shelf in reserve to try if you need to.  Will keep you in thoughts and prayers!

Comment by DonMarie & Picco on May 11, 2016 at 9:24am

I could go on about the medical community spewing out lots of adjectives too!  There is so little they know (especially in neurology) compared to what they do know.  They throw tests at you that don't reveal anything then just throw drugs into you in which side effects are usually the only result.

Going to another neurologist will just give you another scenario with the same outcome - frustration!

Okay, enough of not helping from me..... 

I feel for anyone has to go through this. We try to help our loved ones the best we can.  My mom was diagnosed with epilepsy 20 years ago and they still fiddle with her medication. And switch her doctors yearly - medicare!

Photo Contest

Goldendoodles.com Owner Recommended Breeders

All of the breeders posting on this community are listed on Goldendoodles.com.  (Others please refrain from posting pups for sale, all such posts and posters will be removed.)  

Click on the name of any group(s) below that you'd like to join !

Offensive posts and posters will be removed.

Twitter

Follow doodcommunity on Twitter

© 2018   Created by Blue Sterling.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service