A Community of Labradoodle & Goldendoodle Lovers
It's with a very heavy heart and extreme sadness that I tell you that Gizmo is declining in health. We took him for bloodwork last Monday and his BUN & Creatinine were the highest ever; 140 & 12, respectively. When he was first diagnosed on October 18th his BUN was 116.9; his creatinine 5.9. He will not eat his food now even if I add something yummy (which I'm not supposed to do) and he's not drinking much. For the last few days he has showed little interest in playing ball and he sleeps most of the day. Each day it gets worse. He looks at me with his sad brown eyes and lays his head on my lap.
The other night he woke me up because he was whimpering. It was quiet and didn't last that long, but it was a sad sound. I thought he was in pain because of his hip. He has a hard time with that.
Tonight he got up from his constant nap and went towards the front door. Usually he comes back and makes a noise if I don't get up. This time he didn't. I got up to find him and he was in the spare bedroom (the farthest spot in the room) and was going to vomit. I called him and he quickly ran to the door and went outside. Before that he came to me and licked my fingers. I know he's hungry, but will not eat....ANYTHING.
When he came back in I tried to get him to eat some dry food thinking it didn't smell as bad as the wet. He sniffed it and walked away and layed down. It seems like he is breathing heavy, but that might just be me looking for something more. I'm wondering if he is in pain in his abdomen.
I know this is very sad, and I don't mean to ruin anyone's Christmas, but I am beside myself with grief. I can't stand seeing him hungry and unable or unwilling to eat. The vet said he is on the best kidney diet food there is, but I could add some low/no sodium broth. I added that to his food and he's just not interested. The vet also said that in January we can do bloodwork again and if needed, do the IV Therapy for hydration again. We have decided that that only postpones the inevitable and he will decline again in a few weeks. I don't think it's fair to put him through this so many times.
I was hoping to get him through Christmas, but I'm not sure it's going to be possible. I know there is nothing you can do, but I've always found your concern and care comforting whenever I posted....and I've posted many times since we first got him at 11 weeks. Now six years later .... way too soon .... we have a terrible decision to make.